Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas 2020!

I've been so busy this Christmas morning - that is how it is when you're the mom, usually. Or at least, in my extended family, it is. My grandmother, who raised me, put so much effort into making Christmas special for her 3 children and 12 grandchildren (and I've lost count of how great and great-great grandchildren). When I was young, I didn't realize how much she had to do to make our Christmases the amazing memory-filled days they turned out to be. So I have kind of big shoes to fill there! This morning, I finished wrapping presents, got started on some dinner things, cleaned up the kitchen. And I actually enjoyed it.

Yesterday both the boyfriend and I got off work at noon; I picked up lunch on the way home and we ate together. And afterward, he went to play games and watch videos while I set to chores - mopping and rearranging the kitchen, making some snacks and treats, and finishing wrapping gifts. At first I started feeling a little resentful that he got to play while I had to work, but then I realized how stupid that was. I LIKE the work. I like being busy and productive, and I am not happy spending hours on end just being entertained. And I don't think there's necessarily a moral superiority to either thing, though our society likes to think so.

It's not that I don't like being entertained, or relaxing. I like those things, in smallish doses. I like having fun. But I also like the feeling of having completed a task, made something others will enjoy, or just keeping active. As I hurdle into the second half of my life, I have learned to be more and more grateful that I can do those things. 

So yes, it's Christmas. My oldest son came over last night and actually spent the night here; the youngest still lives here of course and my middle will be coming over around noon. We will have a big dinner and open presents and maybe play a game or watch TV, and I will be so very grateful for these wonderful men I have in my life. It's been a strange, tough year, but we are all still here, still ok, and making our way through it all together. So yes, Merry Christmas indeed.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Cancer and my people.

So, I finished the book. And I am sitting here in my quiet living room, all 3 dogs fast asleep on the sectional sofa where I was just sleepi...